Monday, September 10, 2007

Offensive Bull......

I have been toying with the idea of a fan blog for some time...however, I picked now ("it was the best of times, it was the worst of times") to begin. For starters, however, I want to set some ground rules.

Rule #1 I am not a journalist, analyst, editor, guru, investigator or any other form of "professional critic", therefore none of their rules apply.

Rule #2 I am the journalist, analyst, editor, guru and investigator for this blog, therefore only my rules apply.

Rule #3 I am happy and pleased to receive your comments, questions and remarks, but they must be made in good etiquette. My children and my wife may read this, and profanity and/or abusive/discriminatory language will not be tolerated.

Rule #4 This whole exercise is for fun and enjoyment....so relax...and enjoy.


Now to my thoughts.
Am I ever glad that I made the decision (thanks in part to my son's sinus infection) not to travel to Auburn this weekend for the game. I must admit....I came ohhhh so close to making the journey. As it was, I cooked a large pot of my world famous (o.k., my FAMILY famous) chili, and settled into my favorite chair for an afternoon and evening of football. The chili was good; seasoned to perfection so that it had just enough bite to make you want to enjoy that beverage of choice but not too hot for the kids. Georgia was getting beat by South Carolina. And I was getting irritated because I knew that the Auburn game was going to be well into the first quarter before ESPN2 switched to the Plains. After the thrill of victory, with a SC win over GA, I settled down for an evening of the agony of defeat.

I have to admit....I saw a lot of Bull saturday night. A lot of it was dressed out on the opposing sideline. But some......was on ours. Allow me to pose a few questions that, to me, just a jackleg neophyte when it comes to analyzing coaches decision-making, don't make sense. Or at a minimum is confusing.

First, when you know that without Fannin the running game is virtually nil (see Kansas St.), and with Fannin you have some explosiveness (see S.Fla. and scrimmages), why do you put him in a permanent doghouse after 2 fumbles, never to return.....so that you don't even have a CHANCE to put S. Florida away before an overtime?

Second, when you know that Cox is getting beat up, beat down, beat all around....do you not sit him down for a series or two...if for nothing else than to give him a break and see if Field or Burns can do something? Besides, isn't that good for their experience as well?

Third, when you are moving the ball, with three timeouts left on the board, and just under 1 minute to play...do you let the clock run out and take you to overtime instead of giving your place-kicker ((can you say one of the few "bright 'points of light'" (thank you GHW Bush for that phrase) on the offensive side of the ball??))

And finally, is it just me, or does any one else fully understand why our defense is getting soooo banged up and injured? I mean, if you're playing 2/3's of the game, and your back is always against your own goalpost, should we expect anything other than a lot of injuries?

O.K., enough of my pontifical and somewhat rhetorical questions. Today is a new day, and Saturday is a new game.

Enough Bull already.....

War Eagle!

WJLaneSr

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Dad you're insane. Although, I am getting heckled up here for being an Auburn fan.

Granddaddy said...

If the coaches are staying with Cox at quarterback while having 3 turnovers, it does not make sense to bench Mario when he fumbles twice after he had given them the only spark they had on Saturday. After reading their comments this week, it appears that they now tend to agree.

Gray said...

^
I certainly agree