Monday, September 15, 2008

The Big Chill

Maybe it was the 3-2 score from this past Saturday. Maybe it was the 55 degree temperature I woke up to in Manhattan this morning. Perhaps it is just the scratchy throat that is bothering me. Whatever the reason, I woke up with a shiver and chill along my spine. Although New York certainly is not in the full bloom of autumn, maybe the first blush of fall has hit the city.

The summer seems to have flown by. Yesterday was July 4th, and today we are in the 4th week of football season. The kids are back in school and Halloween Candy is on sale in every store. Don’t blink, because Thanksgiving will be here before you know it.

After all, it is already September 15.

The older I get, the faster time seems to fly. Did you know that is was twenty-two years ago today when the first broadcast of “L.A. Law” took place? Twenty-two years! It seems like only yesterday when we were introduced to the Los Angeles law firm of McKenzie, Brackman, Chaney and Kuzak. My favorite episode was aired Thanksgiving week, 1990. As with each episode, there was a title, and this particular one was “Vowel Play”. Douglas appeared on “Wheel of Fortune” , and when he became the champion he tried to ask Vanna out on a date. Don’t ask me why it was my favorite episode…perhaps it is just because it was Thanksgiving week and I was trying to relax with a little T.V.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, this year I will get to spend the entire weekend with my family. The last three I had to either leave during the weekend for Japan, or get back on Thanksgiving Day from China. And I can assure you, they don’t know what cornbread dressing is in Osaka or Shanghai.

This also means that I will be home for the Iron Bowl this year. I was afraid I was going to miss it. Of course, if Auburn's offense doesn't improve, I might be afraid I WON'T miss it! As it was last year, this year's Iron Bowl will be Thanksgiving weekend.

So, with a touch of fall in the air this morning, I am beginning to think about Thanksgiving. Plymouth Rock. The Pilgrims. The Mayflower.

Or maybe I am thinking about all this because 388 years ago, the Mayflower set sail from Plymouth, England with 102 pilgrims. People just like you and me. They were on their way to a new world for themselves and their descendents to follow. A world free from tyranny where religion could be practiced freely. It was September 15, 1620. 388 years ago today. Kind of makes a chill go up and down your spine, doesn’t it.

WJLaneSR

No comments: