Monday, October 13, 2008

A world upside down

My wife celebrated a birthday on Sunday. It wouldn’t be polite for me to mention she was now a half-century old, so I won’t. But I will share with you her (and my) birthday adventure. You see, we spent all last week on a cruise ship sailing along the New England coastline. We ventured into the ports of Halifax Nova Scotia, Bar Harbor Maine, St. Johns Newfoundland, Boston Massachusetts, and Philadelphia Pa. To say we had a great time would be an understatement.

But while we were gone, the world turned upside down. The global market dropped like boulder falling off a cliff, Auburn lost two football games, and Tommy Tuberville fired Tony Franklin. All of this taking place while I was eating midnight buffets, singing Karaoke, going to shows, and generally being oblivious to the world around me.

To be frank (not to be confused with “frank-LIN”, lest someone fire me!), I am kind of glad I wasn’t around last week. I didn’t have to put up with hearing how Vanderbilt beat us in front of the ESPN Game Day Crew, or how “something” happened on Tuesday that caused a meltdown which caused Franklin’s firing on Wednesday. I am certainly happy I didn’t travel to the Plains to see Petrino’s return and suffer through….yet again…an Arkansas team run all over Auburn. And finally, I’m glad I didn’t spend the entire week worrying about my retirement and 401(k) and investments as they vanished like dust. (After all, what’s so great about retirement, anyway???)

And now we come to an off week. A week where the Neil Caudle/Barrett Trotter experiment will take place. And why not? After all, we are now playing for rights to the Shreveport Bowl. Why not begin to see who is man enough to get the 2009 team ready? Why not challenge every player on the team with their manhood?

For a season that began with so much promise, we are now looking a disaster right in the face. And who would have thought, after we beat such a great Clemson team in the Chic-Fil-A Bowl. A team that some prognosticators thought would be the Cinderella National Champs in 2008. A team that fired Tommy Bowdon today.

I guess our world isn’t the only one that is upside down.

War Eagle!

WJLaneSR

No comments: