Sunday, February 8, 2009

Daughter's Mission Trip

O.K., so I don't usually do this. In fact, I have never done this before...at least on my blog. But I think it is worthwhile. And it is something I believe in. So I am going to give her some space on my sacred posting area.

I am talking about my daughter, Marissa. Her letter is pretty self-explainatory, but I can testify to the fact that it is all true. Some of you will get this letter personally through the U.S. "snail" mail, but I'm letting her post the letter here in case there are some of you who don't get the personal letter, but feel inclined or moved to act on it. So, here goes....this is her letter:


Dear Friends and Family,

I have been given the opportunity to join a group of Christians who will be travelling to Nairobi, Kenya in order to provide medical, educational and spiritual missions to the people living in the city slums and surrounding area. Although the team will be comprised of Christians from many denominations, it is being organized through the Northside Baptist Church in Greenwood, South Carolina.

The mission trip will begin June 11th and will run through June 27th. The cost of the trip will be $3,600 which will include roundtrip airfare from Atlanta to Kenya, all food, shelter, transportation in Kenya and the necessary costs of conducting the mission.

I am sharing this with you because I am hoping you will partner with me to make this trip a reality. Several years ago, I began to feel God calling me to work with underprivileged, lost and forgotten people. God has given me the opportunity to respond to this call by participating in such projects as Salkehatchie Summer Camp, a mission trip to Leon, Nicaragua, and a summer working in Rock Hill. Now, the Lord has opened an opportunity for me to respond in Kenya.

Would you consider helping me financially? Any amount will put me closer to Nairobi. Any contributions beyond my needed $3,600 will go to additional group-wide mission trip expenses. The due date for this is April 1. My home church, New Beginnings United Methodist Church, has set up an account to receive donations. Please make checks payable to New Beginnings United Methodist Church, and in the memo line write “Marissa Lane – Kenya Trip”. The address is:

New Beginnings United Methodist Church
210 Rainbow Lake Road
Boiling Springs, South Carolina 29316

I am looking forward to this trip, where I will have the opportunity to share the love of Christ, the work He has called me to, and the hope that this will bring to those living in the poorest conditions of Nairobi, Kenya. If you are interested in seeing one of the youth centers I will be working in, go to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFbNK-_A9Qs

Thank you for prayerfully considering how to assist me in this ministry opportunity.

In Christ,

Marissa S. Lane


Thank you for praying for, and assisting if you feel so led, my daughter as she prepares for this mission opportunity.

WJLaneSR

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Thanks for posting that, Dad! I appreciate it! :)

-Marissa