Sunday, November 25, 2007

Six

Mrs. Young was my 6th grade teacher. It was the fall of 1970, and she had just graduated from Auburn University. Being at Auburn during the Pat Sullivan years, she was a huge fan of Number 7. In fact, she told our class that her entire sorority would answer their telephone, not with “hello”, but with “Pat Who?” Number 7 from that time forward will always live in Auburn lore as a special, important number. So much so that it was retired.

But I want to make the case that not only is the number 7 important to all Auburn people, but the number 6 is, in many ways, even more important. And it isn’t because I was in the 6th grade when Mrs. Young shared her passion about Super Sully.

Six has been an important number to a lot of people. Prior to Saturday evening, I think the number six was most important to me because of Clint Eastwood. Perhaps you are not the Spaghetti Western fan as I am, and therefore don’t watch all of the TBS reruns of “The Good, the Bad and The Ugly.” But I do. I don’t know why I love that movie so much….it is kind of silly….but if it is on; I am going to watch it. There is a line in the movie, where Clint Eastwood’s character realizes he is facing six villains in a saloon. His remark to this is, “Six is my favorite number. There are six of you, and I have six bullets left in my gun.” Of course, the rest is history. Clint always gets his man (or six of them).

But the number six isn’t just for the gunfighters. In fact, six is Bert’s favorite number on Sesame Street. (Hey, just because my four children are about grown doesn’t mean I don’t still keep up with Bert and Ernie!! There’s a little bit of Big Bird in all of us!)

And lest you forget what your Sunday School Teachers taught you, the book of Genesis tells us that man was created by God on the sixth day.

And if the number Six is that important to the Big Guy, then it must be pretty darn important!

Auburn had never beaten the Crimson Tide 6 years in a row. Never. Ever. Until now. The world of Iron Bowl history changed on November 24, 2007. For the first time in forever, Auburn beat Alabama in football for the SIXTH STRAIGHT TIME. Dang that feels good to write.

It is so sweet, that there ought to be a song written about it. Something to capture this feeling forever. In fact, did you know that on most Rock Albums, the feature track is usually the sixth song? And if this ride Auburn has been on were an Album, the sixth track might have to be called “Taking Care of Business.” Because that’s what Auburn did. They went out, on a chilly and windy Saturday evening, and systematically took care of business by beating Saban and his Crimson Troops.

So today, I am celebrating Six. Six straight wins over the Tide. As Jackie Gleason used to say, "How sweet it is!"

Oh, and Seven? Why, the Bible refers to IT as the Perfect Number. More on that next year.

War Eagle
WJLaneSR

No comments: