Saturday, December 27, 2008

Chi

It was a triangular world wind tour. Beginning Christmas morning in Spartanburg, South Carolina, six Lanes plus a dog rode 5 hours to Savannah, Georgia in order to eat Christmas Dinner with Julie’s brothers and sisters (as well as their families, etc.) After exchanging a few gifts, avoiding the figgy pudding, and pulling on crackers (part of my wife’s English tradition where a tubular present is pulled on both ends, making a popping sound, and a paper crown falls out which is supposed to then be put on the head. As with all good English people, it makes more sense after a pint or three of ale), we retired to our hotel.

On Boxing Day, we woke up, drove six hours from Savannah to West Point, Ga. to visit my parents, and again exchanged a few gifts. My mother had turkey, ham and all the trimmings. So, for the second day in a row, we overate and enjoyed the Christmas Cheer. Following a large breakfast and lunch today, we drove 5 hours back to Spartanburg.

The triangle trip was complete.

There are lots of stories about our quick trip that I could tell, like my phone call with Aunt Faye, riding 16 hours in three days in one car with 6 people and a dog, and the bite I received on my hand by another dog.

Due to the restraints of time and space, I only want to talk about how LONG the trip was. It is amazing what we will do in order to see friends and loved ones at Christmas. Packed in a vehicle like sardines really does describe what we were.

The long trip was kind of like following a long, long river that never seems to end.

I remember in college geography studying about the rivers such as this. One such river is the longest river in Thailand. It is called the Chi River. The river runs through the Phetchabun Mountains, runs east and then south where it meets the Mun River. Maybe the reason I remember this river is because it is riddled with leeches, yet is a major source of travel, commerce and food for the Thai people

I think I will call Auburn’s new head football coach “Coach Chi”. Most people will think it is just short for “Chizik”, but I have another reason.

Coach Chi will have a lot of people who will be try to be like a leech, attaching themselves to his every move and decision. And though leeches can be good in certain circumstances, they can also draw the life out of a person if left unattended. Coach Chi also has a long row to hoe, I think. Not only does he have to get the Auburn base on board, he has to turn the football program around. This will be a long process, I think.

But, long journeys are not necessarily bad things. Just like our Christmas journey; though long, it was a good thing. Like the Chi River for the Thais.

Good luck, Coach Chi. I hope your journey is a good thing for Auburn, as well.

No comments: