Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Ken

I got the word at 6:20 p.m. Amsterdam time. It was 12:20 p.m. in Spartanburg. I am sure I shall always remember it. I wasn’t shocked, stunned or surprised. I was, however, brokenhearted.

He had struggled so much the last few weeks. One lung was no use at all…with no air capacity…no oxygen being taken into the supply of blood flow. The other lung was at approximately 20 % capacity. He was on pure oxygen flow, but continually asked to have his bed raised or lowered, the ceiling fan on or off, and the tubes realigned so that he could get more air. But he had pneumonia. It had set in as is often the case with someone in his condition. Cancer had destroyed his body.

I remember January 2001. I had just taken a job with Teijin, my current employer, and he had interviewed me. He was the Vice President of Manufacturing and Technology. My family and I were still living in Danville, Virginia, and I had a kidney stone attack. Unfortunately, this was an annual occurrence for me, and my Urologist had put a stint between my bladder and kidney. A couple of weeks later, I needed to have it removed, and a Urologist in Spartanburg agreed to do it. Of course, I had no home to recuperate in, no family to take care of me, no one to look after me. He told me not to worry, that he would take me to the doctor, take me to his house, let me recover there, regardless of how long it took, and his wife…who was a nurse….would take care of me. This they did. And more.

We traveled together in Europe. We were in Germany, in Austria, and departed from France. About one year later, I took Julie and Ansley with me to Germany and Austria, and to this day she accuses me of taking the “beer tour of Germany and Austria” with him. This is because everywhere we went, I would tell her, “oh yes…we had a beer there…”

I could tell so many stories about him and me. But I will keep most of them in my heart.

I saw him last week before I left Spartanburg for Holland. I reminded him of our trip to Europe, and told him that I would drink a beer for him while I was here. He looked at me, and said…”drink two”.

The call I received was from his son. He told me that my friend, Ken Bolin, had passed away about 15 minutes earlier. It was 6:20 p.m. I received the call in Holland. He told me that I was one of the first that Ken would want them to tell. He broke down during the conversation, and hardly made it through. I consoled him…tried to keep from breaking down myself….and finally said “goodbye.”

I called my wife and told her. I called our mutual friend, Ben, and told him. I sent a message to Ton in Japan, who is also a mutual friend, and our former boss. And then I went to the bar. This could have been a dangerous situation, but I didn’t allow it to be.

Ken…I had two beers for you. Actually, three. You would have appreciated that, and would have joined me with every one. In fact, you would have said, “Jeff, let’s have a beer or three.” I wish you could have been here. The froth was foamy, the beer was cool but not too cold, and the memories were almost overwhelming. I will miss you, my friend. You were more than a friend to me….you were my best friend in Spartanburg. I will always remember you. I will never forget you. I will cherish our friendship. And I already miss you….deeply.
Friends always……even beyond the grave…..Jeff.


WJLaneSr

No comments: