Friday, October 12, 2007

My Friend

When I was in college, I took several psychology classes, knowing that one day I would be working in SOME capacity where I had to deal with the human psyche. I took Introduction to Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Adolescent Psychology and others. No, I didn’t major or minor in it, but I guess I could have. But psychology classes don’t prepare you for your own emotions.

Today has been a roller coaster of emotions for me. First, I was excited because it is my wife’s and my second daughters’ birthdays. I love other people’s birthday, because I love to give gifts and see their faces…especially when they are surprised. To have both of their birthdays on the same day is really special. In fact, when my wife was pregnant with our second child, I told her that the baby would be born on her birthday because she loved her birthday too much (of course, I was right!!) I am cooking spaghetti for them tonight.

But the high of their birthdays was met with a very low also. As I posted in my blog earlier this week, I am traveling to Holland tomorrow. I will be gone for a week. This is during the same time that my best friend in Spartanburg has only a few days….maybe only a few hours….to live. I visited him yesterday and today. Today, I told him goodbye. He has severe bone cancer and is in severe pain. The cancer has destroyed his body, and he is ready to go home. I am SO overwhelmed with sadness about this. He was my golfing buddy, my confidant, my mentor and my friend. Today, he didn’t know me. He hasn’t been able to swallow water for two days. His time on earth is almost over, and my grief has only just begun. I REALLY regret that I will probably be in Europe when he goes home to see the Lord.

I know this is a big football weekend. As most of you know, I am as big a fan as any. But please, may I ask you….would you take a moment this weekend….either before or after the game…. and remember Ken. His wife’s name is Peggy. Their sons are Kenny and Steve, and they have three grandchildren. And he is my friend.

War Eagle,

WJLaneSr

1 comment:

Granddaddy said...

We are sorry about Ken, but he has been struggling for a good while.
Have a safe trip and we will see you when you get back