Monday, October 15, 2007

What a Kick I got in Amsterdam

Oversized seats. Ability to lay back and put your feet up. Champagne. A fairly good dinner. Quiet. Sleep. These are a few of the reasons that I like Business Class on an international flight. I am very fortunate that my company allows me to fly Business Class, as it is SO much more comfortable and “work conducive” than Economy. And it was in Delta’s Business Elite that I flew from Atlanta to Amsterdam on Saturday evening.

Delta’s Business Class has two seats on each side, and two seats in the middle. I actually prefer the middle, because it means I have an aisle, and the person beside me doesn’t have to step over me to go to the bathroom or take a stroll. Unfortunately for me, the guy beside me was a big Ohio State fan, and the guy across the aisle from me was a big Florida Gator fan. And thought I enjoyed talking football with them for about an hour or so, I wanted to sleep. They wanted to talk. I was wondering how the Auburn Arkansas game was going. They were reliving last year’s national championship game. They were arguing the power of the Big Ten versus the SEC. I was trying to get my noise reduction Sony earphones to tune them out. Finally, after two Tylenol PM’s, I went to sleep.

I awoke as the captain announced that we were making our descent into the Amsterdam area. I could only think about two things. First, did my luggage make it, because I checked it. Second, did Auburn win or lose. It was 8:05 a.m. local time when we touched down….2:05 a.m. at home. I knew the ballgame was over. I knew that SportsCenter had given their analysis. I didn’t know the outcome.

I hustled through immigration and went to baggage claim. While there, I turned my cell phone on. It said I had two messages. The first message was from Orbitz, telling me that my flight was on time. The second message was from my son.

When you are in a foreign country, at an airport where you know absolutely no one, and where they speak a different language from you, any message from a loved one is welcomed. More than welcomed. Coveted might be closer to what it is.

Will’s voice came over the voice message through my cell phone and said, “Dad…we won. Auburn kicked a field goal at the very end of the game to win 9-7. It was just like Florida! And Dad…LSU lost and so did Cal. I love you….Will.”

I shook my fist and audibly said “War Damned Eagle…Yes!”

Florida boy was close to me. He looked at me…as did many people around me who had no idea what I was talking about…and said, “you must have won.”

I looked at him and smiled….and said, “yep…my son said we kicked a winning field goal at the end of the game….just like we did against ya’ll.” He smiled and walked toward customs. I did the same. I never saw him again. But I was as pumped up as if I had just seen the game myself. And though I didn't see it, I thought to myself...."what a kick!"

And to my son...what a kick...what a wonderful kick you gave me with that message....right here in Amsterdam.

War Eagle!
WJLaneSr

1 comment:

Granddaddy said...

I know you have probably read a good deal about this game since Sunday, but it was not as close as the score indicated. Auburn.s defense played great holding McFadden to only 47 yards on 17 carries. Jones only had 43. The offense moved the ball fairly well until they got down into the red zone. They missed two field goals and Lester fumbled once inside the 10 yard line.
Now we get ready for the biggie at LSU. We know they will be hungry after losing to Kentucky.
War Eagle.
Dad